Sunday, March 29, 2009

Bonanzle


Long time no post! I was out of town for about three consecutive weekends and got out of my reading habit. I read two Shirley Flight books this weekend, though, so expect posts on them shortly.

I also got a copy of the other Alice Anson title in the C&L Mystery Stories, Escape by Night, for which I have high hopes. I managed to get the only copy in dj on ABE, Amazon, and eBay, for only $17--got to love the Best Offer feature. And it is MINT. I'm also very excited about some early, early Dana Girls books in dj that I got, By the Light of the Study Lamp and In the Shadow of the Tower, both listing to latter. They were $19 and $25, respectively, in dj (with all the listings on the back), four glossies, etc. While I don't love Dana Girls in general, I do LOVE the early cover art (very thirties/sophisticated for a children's book).

As you probably figured out from my widget, I've started a booth on Bonanzle for all my extras. I also decided to sell off my Kay Tracey books. It seems silly, when I've spent so long collecting them, but I really don't care for them (how can one series have such a combination of the bizarre and the boring?), and I need the shelf space in a bad way. I haven't sold anything yet, but I'm optimistic. I really love the community feel and got several welcome messages within hours of opening it.

I also got a message saying that the copy of The Clue in the Stagecoach that I have listed is a first edition. Points are synopsis on front flap, lists to self on back flap, and Dana Girls to Bamboo Bird on back cover. However, I found a completed listing on eBay, with the same info, only listing to Haunted Lagoon, so I'd think that was an earlier printing? *shrug*

3 comments:

  1. The first printing dust jacket of Stagecoach lists to Stagecoach and Haunted Lagoon. The first printing book also lists to Stagecoach and Haunted Lagoon. I have had the same experience in which people will tell me that I have a first printing for sale when I know that I do not.

    Bonanzle is a very friendly site, and they make a point of welcoming all the newcomers. You will also find that people will come through your booth and leave you a message like "nice booth" when I think they are just trying to drive traffic to their booths. It doesn't bother me, though.

    Another one of my old eBay buyers found me and bought some books. She didn't want to register on Bonanzle, so she bought directly from me. It is not what I would have preferred since I want Bonanzle to get its fees, but I also didn't want to lose a big sale. The more people that are aware of Bonanzle, the more likely that our books will sell.

    Regarding the Kay Tracey books, I only like them for laughs. For the most part, they are boring and not very good. I cannot stand Wilma's stupid poetry. It adds nothing to the books. The ones I like the best are the ones with that are the most bizarre and have the most outrageous plots, like the time a hurricane hits suddenly and Kay is blown onto a roof and then the hurricane is immediately over. I have never been in a hurricane, but I don't think it works quite like that...It sounds more like a tornado to me, and a mild one at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing that irked me the most about the misinformation was that I recognized the id as that of a major reseller on eBay--you'd like to think she knows what she's talking about.

    Of course, I messaged her back with the same information that I have here (other copies listing to Haunted Lagoon), and she's sticking by the "first" story, so now that irks me even more. I've always refused to buy from her based on her annoying listings (lots of cutesy phrases, multiple colors, "minty" etc.--probably just gave her id away, no? At least I found it distinctive enough to give her away when she changed usernames awhile back), but now this makes me even more convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and Wilma's poetry! I had completely blocked that from my memory. *shudders*

    ReplyDelete

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing