Monday, March 30, 2009

Shirley Flight #6, The Great Bullion Mystery

I hate to quote Red from That 70s Show, but seriously, sometimes Shirley is a total dumb ass. She's surrounded by even dumber people, which is about the only reason she gets away with it.

And end rant. In this book, Shirley has taken a temporary assignment on a "flying boat" or amphibious plane, going from Southampton to Canada, by way of Reykjavik. At the last minute, they're loaded up with special cargo: 500,000 pounds in gold bullion. Mrs. Dellery, another of those mean old ladies with a heart of gold, is Shirley's special charge. Mrs. Dellery is extremely demanding (she has Shirley sit with her, then pumps her for information about herself), which earns her a lot of grief from the obnoxiously, annoyingly chauvinist steward, since this prevents Shirley from assisting with the rest of the on-flight duties. Mrs. Dellery also attempts to smuggle a small gun onboard, which causes further conflict between Shirley and the steward over what to do.

Once in Reykjavik, Mrs. Dellery somehow convinces Shirley to ride with her and a menacing chauffeur to her house outside of town. Stranger danger, Shirley! I got so frustrated with Shirley after this point--everytime she rightfully gets her hackles up, someone (usually Mrs. Dellery [or *spoiler* one of her alter egos]) offers her a stupid explanation, that she swallows hook, line, and sinker. From at least the car ride, Mrs. Dellery is clearly up to no good, but Shirley ignores her instincts until she's taken prisoner in the house and ordered to remove her uniform. She does so and hides. Once the other two give up on finding her and leave the house, she finds an empty wheelchair and a grey wig. Shocker! Mrs. Dellery is not really crippled or elderly!

Somehow Shirley gets out of the house, determined to make it back to the plane before it leaves Reykjavik. There's a genuinely tense struggle in the Geyser Plateau that I really enjoyed. She's walking and spots the evil chauffeur and decides to lure him out of the car to steal it. She deliberately shows herself, then leads him on a dangerous chase through the steam and snow and hidden boiling springs. She manages to get the car and make it back to the plane but can't convince the guard that she's really a flight attendant, since she's wearing native costume. She also sees someone who looks exactly like her, wearing her uniform. Finally they're convinced and let her onboard.

Once on the plane, a girl claiming to be an Icelandic flight attendant getting training shows up unexpectedly. In a Transcontinental uniform. And Shirley's not at all suspicious. For real. Until she sees a British passport poking out of the girl's bag, and even then, she tries to think of an innocent explanation. She does start getting suspicious about a group of mining engineers, but when she tries to tell the obnoxious steward, he refuses to listen. And it's too much of a breach in protocol for her to directly approach the flight crew. She finally decides to open the engineers' cargo for proof, but of course by the time she finds the tommy guns, it's too late to go for help. They take over the plane. The female impersonator is really the male leader of a notorious gang, who plans to leave them abandoned in middle-of-nowhere frozen Canada. Luckily, Shirley uses the equivalent of knock-out drops from the first aid kit to spike their coffee. They're captured, the crew and passengers are rescued, and Shirley is vindicated in front of the steward. Since she's somewhat less dumb than everyone else.

  • While there's a huge amount of guards for the loading of the gold, there's absolutely no security on board the plane. NADA.
  • I hated the character of the steward. He's even more stupid than Shirley, impossible to please, and takes bribes. He won't report Shirley's suspicions because he would have to admit that he (a.)took a bribe and (b.)helped smuggle a gun into Iceland. I know he's supposed to be seen as a silly villain, but he was extremely annoying.
  • I need to find pictures of old planes. This book mentions a bar, tables, card games, etc.
  • The gang leader is described as short and slight, a master disguise artist. I can vaguely believe that he could make himself up convincingly as an old woman, but not as a gorgeous young girl.

I've been a bit disappointed in the Shirley Flight books so far, especially considering how much I enjoy other World Distributors series (Sara Gay Model Girl, Sally Baxter Girl Reporter) and the early Vicki Barr books. Next up is Escape by Night, which I admit was not much like The Dormitory Mystery.

4 comments:

  1. To me, the Shirley Flight books are the least interesting of the World Distributors series. I did not make it through the entire set before I lost interest. I need to get back to them sometime and finish reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quality was such a letdown after Sally Baxter and Sara Gay. I don't have any more at the moment, but I expect I'll give Shirley Flight a third chance, if not more.

    I have one Kit Hunter book that I came across in an antique mall. I'm not a horse person, generally, so I'd never sought them out before. I'm curious to see how I feel about that series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My feelings on Kit Hunter are kind of so-so. I really enjoyed the first book. I did not enjoy the next ones quite as much, and I haven't read past the first few books, which is an indicator that they are not very compelling. I'm not into horse stories, so that is one of the reasons why. The horses are central to the story. Kit Hunter is another series that I have to make myself get back to again someday.

    I have the four volume Dorothy Dixon series. Some people have spoken highly of it (I think), but I read 1 1/2 of them and couldn't stand any more. They did not interest me at all. The only reason why I will probably read another someday is that one of them has nearly the same plot as a Judy Bolton book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the 4th Kit Hunter, Bush Adventure. I'm not terribly optimistic, but I can be unpredictable in my preferences. It was $7.50 in a nice dust jacket, and I didn't pay to ship it from Britain, so I can't complain.

    I have the last two Dorothy Dixon books and am currently bidding on the first. 1933 is squarely in my favorite series time frame, and I really like The Clue in the Patchwork Quilt. So maybe I'll do better with those. *shrugs* It's a cheap and easy series to collect, which is also in its favor.

    ReplyDelete

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing