Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Polly Brewster eBooks


The copyright on several of the Polly Brewster books has run out, which means they're available in free ebooks, through various websites. My favorite has been Google Books, because it has the straight-up scans, with all the quaint inscriptions, library markings, and internal illustrations. In case you missed it, by the way, I've gone back and added the internal illustrations from Google, now that I've figured out the "clip" function. The illustrations from Polly and Eleanor are from Project Gutenberg, although they're not available for every title.

Speaking of the internal illustrations, I really love the ones for this series. I think they're gorgeously done, plus the 1920s fashions are just fabulous. The illustrator is Harold S. Barbour. I've not been able to find a lot of information on him, but he lived from 1889-1961 and illustrated for several series books. He did the illustrations for one of Lillie's other series, another Girl Scouts series, as well as the Pee Wee Harris and Roy Blakely books.

In case you want to also give this series a try, or just want to read them for free, here are links to the titles that are freely available:

Polly of Pebbly Pit
Polly and Eleanor
Polly in New York
Polly and Her Friends Abroad
Polly's Business Venture

1 comment:

  1. Ooh how do you know if a series' copyright runs out? SO far I've only found judy boltons on googlebooks, and I've gotten so dsicouraged I've stopped searching. So it was great to hear about this one, any other series online?

    ReplyDelete

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing