Monday, August 10, 2009

Sharing the Love

Earlier this week, I had messaged a British seller about shipping costs for a Nancy Drew (movie) promotional shirt. She didn't get back to me until right before the auction closed, and I missed out on bidding. The shirt didn't sell, and she contacted me today with the following message:

If you are still interested, let me know and I will ship to you FOC. I had a bumper sale on my goods this time, so would be glad to do you a kindness.

How great is that? It's not a particularly rare or desirable item--there's one up for sale on US eBay right now, if you like it--but still an unnecessarily nice thing to do. Thanks, jnolan63.

So let me show some love by talking up my favorite series book sites. I'm sure you guys are familiar with most, if not all.

First up is a more unfamiliar one that I love: Girls Series Books: A Checklist of Titles Published 1840-1991. It's not cute or flashy, but the information is invaluable if you're looking for complete lists of titles, publication info, or even just browsing for a new series. I've used it before when trying to find other series by the same author (Pemberton Ginther). It's also good if you tend to like similar series--for example, I might look for Grosset and Dunlap or Burt series from the 1920s and 30s. I also love it for when I'm adding info to my ridiculous Excel spreadsheets about my more obscure series, as far as title # and printing year. I know the list is overwhelming but Ctrl+F is your friend here.

Second is Series Books for Girls, which I'm sure is (or should be!) familiar to most of you. It has information on several series, including more obscure ones--you will be at high risk for adding series to your collection based on this site. My favorite features are the format guides for Nancy Drew, Beverly Gray, and Judy Bolton, especially the latter two. Also fun are the cover art galleries, including for many foreign editions, and the information on Mildred Wirt Benson's non-Nancy Drew works.

Third is the Nancy Drew Sleuth Unofficial Site, which is also very popular. My favorites here are the information on seriously EVERY SINGLE Nancy Drew format/edition ever, like the twin thrillers, cameo editions, computer games . . . Really. The collectibles section is also fun. Not to mention, it's also the official website for the Sleuths.

Finally, there's Around the World with Nancy Drew. This site focuses on international editions of Nancy Drew, which are lots of fun. She has information on printing/publication, as well as great cover art galleries. My personal favorites include the Varty for Harold Hill UK dustjackets.




3 comments:

  1. I love the Girls' Series Books checklist--sometimes I use it multiple times per day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you don't have to flip back and forth between multiple pages. Most of the other sites don't have much info on earlier series, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Girls' Series Checklist is a great resource. I also like to use Mary Crosson's checklist. Both sites are great for finding lists of titles in the very obscure series.

    ReplyDelete

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing