Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Judy Bolton #34 The Puzzle in the Pond


Let's start with the cover on this one. It probably helps that I have a truly gorgeous copy, but I love the level of detail in the artwork--it doesn't just fade away in the background. And as a fellow redhead discovering that yes, there are in fact shades of orange that one can safely wear, to the point of a mad love affair, I totally approve of Judy's outfit. Love the ballet flats and the delicate watch (bracelet?). The rest of the scene is true to the book, down to the boy (Danny), the beavers and their dam, Judy's camera, and the table leg. To be honest, though, I have to say I consistently like the cover art in Judy Bolton more than about any other series (exception: the bizarrely puppet-like cover of The Forbidden Chest).

Unfortunately, the book itself is only okay. The book is set at home in Dry Book Hollow, which is my preference for Judy books, and Peter is trying to round up the rest of the Mott gang from the last book. The scheme she stumbles into here is the refurbishing and selling of furniture looted during the great Roulsville flood, which, naturally, she discovers while attempting to take pictures of beavers near the Jewell sisters' house. She also meets Danny there, who lives at a nearby orphanage, although his original home lies abandoned near the dam. Eventually, by staking out the house, they find the real crook (Earle), clear Danny's dad, and reunite Danny's dad and the matron of the orphanage. Everyone lives happily ever after.
  • Holly the neighbor (introduced in The Black Cat's Clue) has decided she has a crush on Horace. However, consistent with the events of the previous book, Honey and Horace are "practically engaged." Holly ends up meeting Roger, who's her age, and moving on.
  • Honestly? Holly has always annoyed me. She could have been replaced by Honey, and I'd have been much happier.
  • It's mentioned that it's been 6 years since the flood, which I believe would put Judy at 21. I've been wondering about that, since her age hasn't really been mentioned since The Rainbow Riddle, where (I think) she's 18.
  • All the fashion fun is on the cover. *sigh*
  • Blackberry ex machina: he gets into the abandoned house, pushes the orphanage matron's wedding ring where it can be found, and then escapes to the Jewells' house.
  • I like the symmetry of returning to the flood. The Vanishing Shadow is seriously one of the best-written, most genuinely terrifying girls' series books ever. I love, love, LOVE it. The villain scares me to death, and the dance after the spelling match is just perfect. Also, great fashion.
I know I said I didn't have any until #38, but I forgot I had picked up one of the new paperback copies of #35. I also have hopes of getting a copy of #37 in the next week, but we'll see.

1 comment:

  1. I must disagree and say I think Vanishing Shadow is the worst book in the whole series in my opinion. Judy si firstly bratty and not likeable, especially after she blows up at her grandmother who's not likeable then either. And neither is the whingy version of Horrace. And Judy is a total Mary Sue at the spelling bee.
    I remember reading soemwhere that Margaret Sutton said the first book was the one where she knew the least about writing. She says she learnt a lot about perspectivea fter. And I agree because i was seriously not impressed after that first book. Even the ones after, there would always be something I ddin't like about her friends and her. I like her a lot more towards the middle, say 10 onwards?
    Please don't shoot me?

    ReplyDelete

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing